This entry is prompt #16 of The Book of Me, Written by You project
This week’s prompt is – Message in a Bottle
- If you were to physically write or virtually write a message to place into a bottle what would you write?
- Do you live by the sea and are able to potentially throw into the Ocean? Or perhaps a river
- Do you feel strongly that you would not “litter” in this way – in which case you may complete the task virtually
- What would you like to happen with the message?
- Do you hope it is picked up somewhere, miles from home?
- Are you going to create a secret email account in case it is picked up and someone emails you
- Or would you like to write an anonymous note to someone that you know
- Or write a message to a deceased loved one?
For the last few years I've been undertaking a challenge – to complete a pre-defined list of 101 things in 1001 days. I'm currently on my second “101 in 1001” list but number 25 on my first list was “Send a message in a bottle” – and it was one of the things I actually completed!
We were on holiday in New Quay in Wales at the time and had decided to do some sea kayaking. I had a plastic bottle on me and I wrote a letter about the list and the challenge, and what we had been doing on holiday. I included the day and location that I was going to send my message, and I also included my email address so if anyone found it they could let me know. I went out in the kayak as far as I dared (which was, admittedly, not that far) and left the bottle bobbing in the water, with visions of it floating out towards Ireland, or perhaps even America …
The bottle was found, but it didn't go very far! It was retrieved that same afternoon by a boy who was also sea kayaking! You can read all about it, incuding the original letter I sent and the reply I received, here. It would have been lovely if it had travelled to faraway places, but perhaps I'll try it another time and see what happens.
Something that's on the current list is to write a note, put it in a book and leave it somewhere …. perhaps that might be more successul!